The Apple watch series 8 is about to be launched and at the same time, we can see a new rugged “Pro” version with a larger screen. Apple Watch Series 8 will likely be available to pre-order soon. Head below for what to expect on a release date, new features, and more.
Apple Watches launch date
In addition to the first-generation Apple Watch, which launched in April 2015, Apple also announced all hardware updates for its wearables in September. Apple traditionally announces the new Apple Watch models along with the fall iPhone event. One exception to that was in 2020 when Apple Watch 6 and SE were unveiled in September and iPhone 12 was announced in October.
- Apple Watch Series 7: announced September 14, 2021, launched October 15, 2021
- Apple Watch Series 6 and SE: announced September 15, 2020, launched immediately
- Apple Watch Series 5: announced September 10, 2019
- Apple Watch Series 4: announced September 12, 2018
- Apple Watch Series 3: announced September 12, 2017
- Apple Watch Series 1 and 2: announced September 7, 2016
- Original Apple Watch: launched April 10, 2015
Apple Watch Series 8: release date
Apple’s iPhone 14 and Apple Watch Series 8 event is set for September 7 at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET.
While Apple is expected to announce Apple Watch Series 8 alongside iPhone 14 on September 7, it’s difficult to know how fast Apple will open up pre-orders for the wearable.
With Apple Watch Series 7, pre-orders came about a month after the product was announced, but with Series 6, orders were open immediately. We’ll have to wait and see what happens with Apple Watch Series 8 availability.
Apple Watch Series 8: new features and more
As we all know, the Apple Watch Series 8 will feature watchOS 9, Apple’s newest software. That brings features like new and updated watch faces, brand-new running metrics in the Workout app, and improved sleep tracking.
- watchOS 9 hands-on: new and updated Apple Watch faces
- Apple Watch running metrics: Hands-on with new Workout features in watchOS 9
But there are a number of Series 8-specific hardware upgrades we could see. First, Apple Watch Series 8 could land with the largest screen yet and additional features may include the ability to read body temperature.
- Report: Apple Watch Series 8 to feature a bigger display
- Gurman: Apple Watch Series 8 to feature a body temperature sensor
- Apple Watch Series 8: Everything we know so far
- Four features we expect to see on Apple Watch Series 8
Rugged Watch: ’Apple Watch Pro’
It’s looking like the launch of a rugged Apple Watch Pro model will happen in September and that larger screen and more durable construction will be exclusive features. We heard a report from Bloomberg say Apple was exploring this and reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted we could see three Apple Watch models launch this fall – including the rugged Pro version.
Even more, details were released at the end of July by Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman. Check out all the details in our full guide:
Apple Watch Series 8 is shaping up to be a big upgrade with the possibility of getting its biggest screen yet, new health features, everything coming with watchOS 9, and the potential for Apple’s first rugged wearable.
What are you most excited about with Apple Watch Series 8? Share your thoughts in the comments!